Daytona 675 Race Track Transformation Part 2

I ran out of time last weekend to complete the removal of some additional road items that aren’t necessary for the track and detailed those changes in a previous post. This includes the rear footrests and the whole number plate assembly.

IMG_20121219_144904_CThe footrests are simple to remove, although you are left with two ugly looking mounting points on the subframe. However I’m too tight to pay for a small bracket to cover the lugs, so they’ll just have to remain visible.

Removing the tail light assembly involves taking off the seat, the tail piece and the carbon fibre heatshield that sits between the exhaust and the subframe. Once that is all off you can get access to the two bolts each side the hold the tail assembly in place. The whole assembly can be removed as one once you disconnect the single block connector under the tail piece.

IMG_20121219_144915_CThe tail light assembly is really ugly, and the looks and lines of the bike are hugely improved once it is removed. You especially notice the slimness of the bike when looking at it from the rear. Obviously a better looking bike isn’t going to help you go any faster, but there’s no harm in hoping!

While removing the above items, I also disabled the alarm system. This is because the bike is going to be stored for 4 weeks before it heads out to Spain by lorry for a 3 day track event.

I didn’t want the alarm draining the battery unnecessarily without any means to recharge it abroad.

IMG_20121219_144759_CI also fitted the final crash protection item that I purchased a few weeks ago.

This is a bracket that fits over the air scoop and is designed to protect the headstock in the event of a crash. Without it, there is a chance that a bad crash can tear the stop lock and damage the frame – this would be very expensive to sort out.

The bracket limits the amount of travel of the yokes which is why it isn’t a good idea to fit on a road bike. But for a track bike where you don’t need a lot of steering lock, it’s absolutely fine. It was easy to fit even with the fairing in place, and took less than 10 minutes to do so. It would have been quicker if we’d managed to find some longer bolts to replace the existing ones more quickly.

That’s it! The bike is now ready for the 2013 track season.

Update for 2014: You can read about my 675 gearing changes for better drive on track


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.